Monday, November 7, 2011

artist's block

                      
                                       I have found myself in a two month long funk.  Ideas have been coming out of my brain in a trickle like there is a clog in there somewhere.  My plan is to work out the clog by just getting on with it and getting down to work.  These are a few pictures of the little bit I managed to get done.  What I need to do is just get back on the wheel and get back in the groove.  I also need to tune out distractions.  All my ideas seem to be coming up short which might just be serious case of self doubt.  I would really appreciate any suggestions you have for getting over this kind of “artist’s block”.  What do you do when inspiration feels like it’s coming through like gravel in a meat grinder?

2 comments:

  1. *WARNING*: This advice comes from an avid procrastinator, so please take with copious amounts of salt.

    One thing that I've done to get creative juices flowing is browse DeviantArt. It's great because there's no pressure. By this point, I've convinced myself that I am and always have been a complete hack. Everything I hope to accomplish is just a pipe dream. I couldn't have and original idea if it was working the street corner and I had a pocketful of cash.

    So, I figure I'll waste away my days looking at awesome stuff that other, talented people, come up with. That's when I see... IT. That image that has a story in it.

    That's when the magic happens. The story starts almost entirely on its own. If I'm lucky it may even fit in with what I'm currently mulling over and THAT is when I continue to procrastinate. But, hey, at least I'm free to imagine again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Search for that which inspires you. A walk in nature, reading an old journal, surfing internet sites like Etsy or American style or explore the classic ceramic artists you studied in school. Explore an old idea, but work to make it new. Set a moderate goal to make "x" items per day to "push through" the block.

    Not sure any of these quickies will work, but thought I'd try to help.

    ReplyDelete